A building history survey of Kaisaniemenkatu 1 (2013-14). 76 pages + attachments

Kaisaniemenkatu 1 (14 760 m²) is a superior example of 1920s’ monumental commercial architecture. It was designed by W.G. Palmqvist and constructed in four phases between 1924 and 1930. The building height varies between 4 to 9 floors and forms a pair with its neighbour, so-called Lackman’s house. It is in the core of the town, next to the Central Railway Station. Tengbom Eriksson Architects were responsible for architectural and principal design in the refurbishment of this old building. En route, an extensive historical survey was done to support the design process.

Finding the original drawings in the archives of the Museum of Finnish Architecture was a true jackpot.

The work included numerous visits in museums, archives, literature studies and visits on site. Due to its central location, at the corner of the Railway Square, the building has also been photographed a lot during the decades.

Little by little the history “unwinded” and we could track most of the changes.

Though the street side facades have survived with only losing their original windows during early 1990s, the courtyard side facades and roof have been altered a lot, mostly because of HVAC installations. Buildings are not immune to building trends eg. the facades and windows have seen many kinds of repairs…

Below: Sample spreads of the report.